Monday, January 12, 2009

Why did I ever start this?

We all have moments as parents when we look back and say "Why did I ever start doing this?" For some it may be a certain bad habit at bedtime, for others it may be a special treat that you gave once but it somehow turned into a daily occurence. For me it was letting Sam know that he could see or hear something more than one time. I don't know when it started but he was probably pretty young. He quickly caught on that if he said "more" he could see or hear something again. Much of this is thanks to Tivo since without it I could never have just rewound shows on tv for Sam to see again. At first this wasn't a big deal but eventually we had to implement the 3 time rule. He can only see or hear something 3 times. This is a very big thing in the car especially. I can't tell you how many times I have had to hear certain Wiggles songs and if it had not been for our 3 time rule I would really be going insane. Looking back I really wish I wouldn't have let him know that there was a choice to see or hear something more than once. Afterall, growing up I didn't have this option and I lived. Now when I am trying to get something done or even just sit down at the computer for a couple of minutes I hear "Mommy, I want to see that again." and it makes me crazy! Sometimes I am very calm about it and I generally know what he is going to want to see again since we watch the same things over and over but other times, like now, it makes my skin crawl to hear those words and it comes at the most inopportune time. It makes me even more irritated when I don't hear a "please" or "thank you" which is most of the time. I won't replay something until I hear those words though so you would think he would have caught onto that by now but no, he has not. I guess this is just one of the many bad habits that I have created and looking back I would not have done it but now I am stuck with it. Ugh!

No comments:

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire asleep in her new bed.

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire in her bed after we got it all set up.