Friday, January 2, 2009
Ah, the memories!
When I was in college at Iowa State there was a sub shop called Jimmy Johns in campus town. They had the best subs and dill pickles and the best part about them is that they delivered! I can't count how many Jimmy Johns subs and pickles I ate at 1:00 or 2:00 AM. When I left college I was so sad to leave Jimmy Johns behind too. It never dawned on me that this was a chain restaurant and that Ames wasn't their only existence. About 5 years ago in Denver I drove by a Jimmy Johns down the street from our church, just miles from my house. I can't tell you how excited I was. Yes, it's true. Something as simple as a turkey sub and dill pickle can really make me happy. I am a simpleton, what can I say. Then, if things couldn't get any better, they opened one just a block from my office in downtown Denver. I was a frequent visitor during my pregnancy with Sam. I would crave a turkey sub and a big dill pickle. Yum! I vividly remember going to Jimmy Johns every Monday night while Bill and I were taking our prenatal classes. I would waddle over to Jimmy Johns and grab my sub and pickle and eat it on the way to the hospital. Well, when we left Denver I once again thought that my days of eating Jimmy Johns were over. Can you imagine my excitement when 6 months ago I saw that one had been built just miles from my house in McKinney!? No, you probably can't and I can't believe that it's been there for 6 months now and today was the first time that I have finally gone there. Whenever I drive by I always have the kids with me and it's not a fun restaurant with games and slides like McDonald's or Chick-fil-A so I have just never stopped. Today I ran a couple of errands while Bill watched the kids and I finally decided that this was the day. As soon as I walked in the smell of fresh bread sent me back to my college days, sent me back to my pregnancy, sent me back to Sundays after church when we would stop on the way home. I was in heaven! I think the cashier thought I was joking when I said how happy I was to be there but it was the truth, as corny as it sounds. I got our subs and my big pickle and headed home, very happy. Sam loved his sub but Claire wouldn't have much to do with it. Instead, she is a girl after my own heart and went right for the dill pickle!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire asleep in her new bed.
Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire in her bed after we got it all set up.
No comments:
Post a Comment