Saturday, September 19, 2009

Is that pee I smell?

Unfortunately the answer to that question is yes. Lately, my very sensitive pregnant nose seems to smell cat pee everywhere. This was really worrying me b/c our Siamese cat, Remy, had a bit of a spraying issue before we had him fixed 2 years ago. So when I started smelling pee I was very worried about his fate with our family. I did actually find evidence that he was peeing in places other than the litter box and the worst is on our couch in the playroom. He had peed there a couple of years ago and the smell never fully went away but suddenly it became very potent. Yesterday morning I decided to call the vet for advice. I was fully expecting them to tell me that this was 100% behavioral and was hoping that somehow they would be able to help me stop it without having to get rid of Remy. I didn't expect the response I got from them which was to suggest that he may have a urinary tract infection. Apparently peeing away from the litter box can be a sign of infection which I had no idea about. We made an appointment for yesterday afternoon and sure enough Remy has a urinary tract infection. He is on antibiotics and during the day we have him locked in a bathroom with a litter box so that he can pee whenever he needs to. In another day or so he should be fine to be out in the house again without me worrying where he may pee. In the meantime though I have had to buy a product to get out all of the odor that he has left behind. I tackled the couch yesterday and think I did a pretty good job but still want to do it again. There are also some other spots that I want to get where I believe he might have gone. As big of a pain as this is I am just happy that there was an actual reason behind this behavior and that we don't have to lose a family member over it. Hopefully this is it for cat pee for a long time!

No comments:

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire asleep in her new bed.

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire in her bed after we got it all set up.