Sunday, December 14, 2008

Man's Best Friend

It's been said for ages that dogs are man's best friend. I get that. They are loyal, they follow you everywhere and will protect you from harm. I have a dog and she's a loyal companion, definitely is happy to see us when we get home, mostly b/c she wants a treat, and absolutely would protect us from a stranger.

However, I have a new vote for man's best friend...the cat! Yes, that's right. I know they don't greet you at the door when you come home, they are too busy sleeping in a closet. I know they don't follow you around the house searching for food that you may have dropped but they will come running the second you open a can of tuna. I know they don't jump up and down as soon as the word "walk" comes out of your mouth but that doesn't mean that they aren't willing to go for a walk too. That lends me to my story.

Last week Sam and I went down to my in-laws one evening so that I could run on the treadmill and he could play with grandma and grandpa. As we started walking down the street our cat Pippin met up with us and followed us to my in-laws. This wasn't particularly odd behaviour but then he continued to walk up to the front door. My in-laws have cats too so I didn't want Pippin to linger too long incase one of their cats was outside. Once Sam and I were inside we heard Pippin scratching on the front door trying to get in. We thought he would give up and go home but an hour later as we were getting ready to leave he was still pawing at the door. By the time we got outside he wasn't there anymore but as soon as I called him he came running back to greet us. Then he proceeded to follow us back home. If that's not loyalty then I don't know what is! He may not be all things that a dog is but I think he deserves the title of "man's (or woman's) best friend!

No comments:

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire asleep in her new bed.

Claire's Big Girl Bed

Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire in her bed after we got it all set up.