Growing up it was a tradition in our family to have light an Advent Wreath every year during Advent season. We would take turns reading the daily passage before dinner every night and it's something that I always remembered and wanted to do with my own children someday. Last year my mom bought us an Advent Wreath. Every night before dinner I would light the candles and then read the daily passage. However, since Sam was only 2 and Claire just an infant all my effort was a bit pointless. But what a difference a year makes! This year Sam looks forward to hearing the story every night and after dinner he gets to blow out the candles.
The kids also have Advent Calendars with candy in them. I also remember these from my childhood too. After school everyday I would look forward to counting down the days until Christmas by eating a piece of chocolate. My kids get to eat their chocolate after dinner every night as long as they eat a good dinner. Talk about a great motivator! I think they've eaten the best dinners ever since we've been rewarding them with chocolate for dessert. I'm not sure what we are going to do after the Advent season is over. I think we will be able to reason with Sam but Claire definitely won't understand why she can't have her chocolate. I'm sure we'll figure out something but for I am just enjoying passing on some of the family traditions that I remember fondly from my childhood.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire asleep in her new bed.
Claire's Big Girl Bed
Claire in her bed after we got it all set up.
No comments:
Post a Comment